About the Open Mic:
- Everyone is welcome! Audience and performers of all levels: beginner to professional: all are warmly received and encouraged.
- Finger picking nylon string styles (leave the Les Paul at home). Soloists and ensembles of any combination.
- 10 minutes maximum per performer, coordinated by a different guest host each month.
- Tropical juice and coffee provided by the SBGS. Fruit, cake and cookies are welcome: please bring enough to display and share.
The host for our April 2019 Open Mic will be Chris Mann.
Termed, ‘a prominent guitarist,’ by the New York Times and praised by The Washington Post for his ‘astonishingly florid’ improvisations, David Rogers presents an evening of solo guitar music with strong leanings towards jazz, world, folk and classical music.
An endorsing artist for GHS Strings, his music has been featured in major guitar magazines such as Fingerstyle Guitar in the United States and Akustic Gitarre, in Germany. His solo and ensemble performances have been broadcast on American National Public Radio and Bayrische Rundfunk.
David will play a program based around Spanish, Flamenco, Up-Tempo Latin, original settings of Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Rolling Stones’ songs, as well as music by the Beatles, J.S. Bach and original compositions.
Winter Sunrise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77APBKNBkag
As lead guitarist with the Terra Nova Consort, David has toured North America and Europe extensively and opened the Tage Alter und Neuer Musik Regensburg 2003 Festival with the ensemble. His performances have been broadcast on American National Public Radio and Bayrische Rundfunk,including both the nationally syndicated Performance Today (live performance/interview in Washington D.C. NPR studio 4A) and Harmonia programs.
David has recorded for Dorian,Callisto and Focus Recordings. He has given recitals and conducted master classes throughout North America, including performances and classes at the San Francisco Conservatory and the University of Southern California and The Interlochen National Arts Camp.
David was the guitarist for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival for 18 years and taught at Southern Oregon University for 13 years. David has studied historical plucked strings with Hopkinson Smith and Eugen Dombois at the Schola Cantorum Basiliensis in Basel, Switzerland; with Thomas Binkleyat Indiana University; and with Lyle Nordstrom at Oakland University. He has studied guitar with Joseph Fava at Wayne State University.
“…Playing the vihuela (a guitar relative), David Rogers held everything together with a few poignant plucks, vigorous strumming and the occasional astonishingly florid solo…” TheWashington Post
“…Music to listen to, be amazed by, and to dream upon.”
Akustik Gitarre 6/07
“…first rate instrumental artistry…”
“…David Rogers played his vihuela (a 16th-century precursor to the guitar) not in the tasteful, restrained way of early music groups, but like a lead guitarist in a rock band. He laced the likes of ‘De el pobo’ with improvised, speedy solos way up into the wailing region of the fingerboard…”
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
“A modern master of the classical guitar… David Rogers has a remarkable grasp of 16th Century Baroque guitar music”
“He plays incredibly well” Paul McCandless, OREGON
Tony Harmon & Nathan Towne Guitar Duo, an exciting and entertaining instrumental duo from the Los Angeles area. They opened the 2016 La Guitarra California Festival to great acclaim.
Tony Harmon & Nathan Towne Guitar Duo Concert Program
– Libertango – Astor Piazzola, arr. duo Bensa-Cardinot
– Thing a ma Jig – Tony Harmon, arr. Nathan Towne, Tony Harmon
– Desifinado / Girl from Ipanema – Antônio Carlos Jobim, arr. Nathan Towne, Tony Harmon
– Lauro Waltzes – Antonio Lauro
– Ferris Wheel – Nathan Towne, arr. Nathan Towne, Tony Harmon
– Don’t Know Why – Nora Jones, arr. Nathan Towne, Tony Harmon
– Solo Selection – Tony Harmon (tba)
– Peruvian Scherzo – Tony Harmon, arr. Nathan Towne, Tony Harmon
– Un Seuño en el Floresta – Barrios Mangoré, Agustín, Nathan Towne Solo
– Caravan – Juan Tizol and Duke Ellington, arr. Nathan Towne, Tony Harmon
* INTERMISSION *
– Tico Tico – Zequinha de Abreu, arr. Nathan Towne, Tony Harmon
– Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World/ Moonriver /Smile Medley 12. – Arlen, Thiele & Weiss, Mancini, Chaplin
– Moondance – Van Morrison, arr. Nathan Towne, Tony Harmon
– Autumn Leaves / Manhã de Carnaval – Joseph Kosma / Luiz Bonfa, arr. Nathan Towne, Tony Harmon
– Ave Maria/ Vals Incognito – Bach / Gounod, Tony Harmon, arr. Nathan Towne, Tony Harmon
– Donna Lee – Charlie Parker
– TV Medley – Nathan Towne Solo
– Yesterday – The Beatles
– Fly me the Moon – Bart Howard, arr. Nathan Towne, Tony Harmon
– Jerry’s Breakdown – Jerry Reed